After weeks and weeks of daily voting, the results are finally in.
A panel of experts nominated 10 botanical gardens from around the United States—and they included one from Mexico—and USA Today/10best.com invited readers to vote on which is the favorite. For the last couple weeks, as we all watched the preliminary tally, it appeared as though the Vallarta Botanical Garden had a serious chance at earning the title.
But as it was announced today (Friday, May 4), the winner of the annual poll is Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. You’ll notice from last year’s poll that it didn’t make the top 10 then.
According to USA Today, the top 10 winners in the category Best Botanical Garden are:
- Longwood Gardens – Kennett Square, Penn.
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum – Chaska, Minn.
- Missouri Botanical Garden – St. Louis
Vallarta Botanical Gardens – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Denver Botanic Gardens – Denver
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – Atlanta
- Desert Botanical Garden – Phoenix
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden – Coral Gables, Fla.
- Brookgreen Gardens – Murrells Inlet, S.C.
- Bloedel Reserve – Bainbridge Island, Wash.
We caught up with Bob Price, the founder and curator of the gardens, amid is travel in London today.